Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chapter 4/4

Among the Philosophers

I first discovered the DIALECTIC deep within the pages of a book on General Philosophy, by Elton Trueblood. Trueblood gives it only a half-dozen pages, but for me, it resonated immediately. My way of thinking, understanding, analyzing–and my way of living–was transformed and has never been the same. The DIALECTIC became a major part of who I am.

But none of the ideas in this book (well, almost none) are original with me. The DIALECTIC is not something new. It has been around at least since the DIALECTICal relationship of Adam and Eva, whoever they were. It is ancient. I am merely attempting to present, in a way that is simple, clear, fairly complete, and useful, what others before me have practiced and taught.

Historically, three major philosophers--Heraclitus, Socrates, and Hegel--developed the DIALECTIC, each somewhat differently.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

In your working through the discovery of yourself through the dialectic did you ever find it hard to see through the effects of the Enlightenment?

WRoark said...

Yes, Branifer, I did. But even more the effects of Socrates and Plato.

WRoark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.